Following the skincare guidelines immediately after a Laser treatment is important to minimize complications and to maximize benefit from the treatment.
In our office, we often do fractionated laser resurfacing with an Erbium Yag or CO2 laser. Both of these improve skin quality, tone and texture. They also remove sun damage and lessen wrinkles.
While everyone’s recovery is slightly different, the average recovery for an Erbium laser is five days.
- On Day one, we recommend you wash your face several times a day with a soft cloth and a gentle cleanser such as Cetaphil. For the first day, we do recommend applying Aquaphor after each wash.
- On Day two, we recommend you apply AfterCare for hydration after each gentle wash.
- On Day three, you are ready to move to Hyalis, which is a hydrating hyaluronic acid product from Neocutis.
- By Day four, your new skin is coming through. You may or may not peel, but know that the skin turnover is happening.
- At Day five, most people are pink and possibly still peeling, but can go out normally with sunscreen and make-up.
- You may resume your Vitamin C and Retinol products after one week.
The average recovery for fractionated CO2 of the face is 10 days. This may vary considerably depending on your skin type and the aggressiveness of the CO2 intensity.
- You will be sent prescription medication before your procedure. You are typically prescribed an antiviral medication, a steroid and an antibiotic. We ask that you bring these to your appointment for review.
- On days one and two, you wash your face with your fingers or a very soft cloth and a gentle cleanser, Cetaphil, five times per day. You apply a significant amount of Aquaphor after each wash.
- On days three through five, you will put one teaspoon of white distilled vinegar in a cup of water and do vinegar soaks after every other face wash. This decreases risk of infection. You will continue using Aquaphor after each wash and vinegar soak.
- On days five through ten, you will have a follow-up visit in the office. Typically, you will change from Aquaphor to Jan Marini Bioshield in this time period.
- After ten days, most patients are returning to regular life and in sunscreen and make-up. The swelling has mostly resolved. Pink and tender skin may persist for weeks to even a few months after treatment.
- You may resume your routine skin care regimen after three weeks.