When considering the signs of aging, people tend to focus on the face, forgetting what is right there in front of them on the table — their hands. Our hands, thanks to their constant exposure to the endless Atlanta sun and typically warm environment, coupled with the volume loss that is a part of aging, tell no lies when it comes to our true age.
At Beaty Facial Plastic Surgery (disregard our name when it comes to your hands!), we offer three approaches to rejuvenate your hands.
How would I know if hand rejuvenation would be right for me?
Hand rejuvenation could be a great option for you if these characteristics sound like your hands:
- Your hands have prominent veins and tendons due to volume loss
- Your hands are wrinkled and thin
- Your hands have age spots all over them
- Your skin tone and color are blotchy due to sun damage
What can hand rejuvenation treatments do to make my hands look younger?
There are really two goals for hand rejuvenation: remove the age spots and discolored areas where the sun has damaged the skin and replace volume that you’ve lost as you’ve aged.
Three rejuvenation options
Dr. Beaty has three ways to keep your hands from looking like the host on that old TV show Tales from the Crypt: laser resurfacing, volume augmentation with fillers, and microneedling with PRP.
- Laser resurfacing — Dr. Beaty uses a unique CO2 laser device that is specifically designed to treat the hands and forearms. With fractionated CO2 laser energy the hands are treated gently, with no downtime. The hands will gradually develop better, younger looking skin. Texture will improve; there will be fewer pigmentation problems; and the skin will be tighter.
- Returning volume with fillers — Dr. Beaty uses various dermal filler injections to return volume to the backs of the hands, where tendons and veins are more prominent due to thinning skin and declining collagen production. For these injections, Dr. Beaty may use fat transfer, Radiesse, different Juvéderm fillers, or Sculptra. This returns volume to mask the appearance of prominent veins and tendons on the back of the hands.
- Microneedling with PRP — Microneedling is very popular on the facial skin, creating hundreds of microscopic punctures that heal almost immediately, but improve skin texture and trigger new collagen production. Adding platelet-rich plasma after microneedling adds the growth factors and other healing mechanisms of PRP to the equation. Microneedling with PRP are excellent for patients who had textures issues with the backs of their hands due to thinning skin.
Interested in rejuvenation the backs of your hands? Call Dr. Beaty at (770) 753-0053 and set up a consultation to see what options are right for you.