Why choose non-surgical fat reduction?
There is little to no downtime, no incisions or scars, and it is permanent fat removal. The limitations are that it is not suitable for people with a lot of excess fat to remove. It is perfect if you have areas of fat on your body that you don’t like because they are out of proportion to the distribution of fat on your body as a whole.
What are the options for non-surgical fat reduction?
- CoolSculpting® uses cryolipolysis which is controlled cooling (freezing) of fat cells to cause cellular death. Once the fat cells are irreparably damaged, your body removes them through natural processes. The areas are treated using applicators to sculpt a natural look. A treated area can reduce up to 30% of fat.
- SculpSureTM uses laser heat to cause cellular death of the fat cells. This treatment can reduce 24% of fat for the treated area.
- truSculpt® , VanquishTM and VelaShape® all use radio frequency to deliver energy to destroy fat cells. The amount of fat reduction is not consistent.
Very low level light energy
- Zerona® and UltraSlim® use very low-level light energy to target fat cells for specific areas. These are the least effective of the non-surgical fat reduction options at less than 20% reduction in fat for any treated area.
- Liposonix® and Ultrashape® use ultrasound energy to dissolve small areas of fat. Unlike the above-mentioned procedures, these methods are minimally invasive as a suction probe is inserted to immediately remove the fat. In addition to being minimally invasive, this procedure is deemed more painful than all other options.
Why do we choose to use Coolsculpting® in our practice?
Cryolipolisis with Coolsculpting® was FDA approved in 2010. There have been over 450,000 procedures performed worldwide, making it one of the most widely used non-surgical treatments available. The company is focused on proven science, safety and efficacy. And, with the right candidate and the right provider, Coolsculpting® treatments improve your shape by both reducing fat and sculpting the body. The results are never lumpy and bumpy. On the very rare occasion of a side effect, the Zeltiq company, a subsidiary of Allergan, is there for support to correct a problem.
What are the potential negative side effects of Coolsculpting®?
- Coolsculpting® is safe and well-tolerated. Most side effects are minor such as tingling, numbness and minor pain of the treated area.
- The very rare, but much publicized, occurrence of PAH, paradoxical adipose hyperplasia, is when fat actually increases in a treated area. If this were to occur, the parent company for Coolsculpting® will pay to correct the problem with liposuction.
- Also rare is a potential occurrence of PIH, post-inflammatory hyper or hypo pigmentation. Darkening or loss of pigment in a treated area can occur and will typically correct itself in a few months after treatment.
- The biggest negative side effect is that occasionally we have disappointing results. For a reason that is not well understood, some patients have less effect with non-surgical fat reduction options.
Why choose our practice for non-surgical fat reduction with Coolsculpting®?
We focus on choosing the right patients for the procedure. If we do not feel you can get the results you are looking for with this technology, we will not provide the service. Our providers are educated to get the best results from the technology and we ensure our patients have realistic expectations.
We make sure our patients understand that Coolsculpting® is not a tool for weight loss. For those patients that need weight loss in addition to spot fat reduction, we combine the procedure with visits with our nurse practitioner or wellness physician for weight loss options and oversite.
Where should I go for my Coolsculpting® procedure?
Just as it is important to understand in the aesthetic medical space, paying for a service is less about the technology and more about those trained to provide the service. There are many production-line aesthetic centers that will offer a service that may not be best suited for the patient. We partner with our patients to give them long-term results by expertly trained providers. Our team is in the business of practicing excellence in aesthetic medicine, not in production-line aesthetics. If you are not in the Atlanta area, find a practice with a strong focus on education, training, and excellence in relationships and outcomes.